Present Drought has exposed the inhuman; rather barbarian and anti-farmer face of BJP led NDA Government.
Thousands of farmers and Youth activists took out a 'Kisan March' on 2nd August, 2002 uptil Mahatama Gandhi's Samadhi carrying 'Ploughs' on their shoulders as a symbolical gesture of farmer's misery and starvation.
Led by IYC President, Shri Randeep Singh Surjewala and Shri Mukul Wasnik, Hon'ble General Secretary, AICC; we demanded that:-
- Drought be declared as National Calamity.
- Immediate Central assistance and surveys of drought effected States and grant of a minimum of Rs. 5,000/- per acre as compensation for destruction of Kharif crop.
- Scrapping of Special Task Force constituted under Chairmanship of Shri L.K. Advani and for constituting a multi party broad based Task Force under the overall supervision of Leader of opposition.
- Deferring of loan recoveries and land revenue from the poor farmers.
- Immediate commencement of 'Food For Work' programs for the poor and the downtrodden.