» Indian Youth Congress
» State Specific Agitation
» Massive Demonstration, Banaras, IYC & PYC Presidents seriously Injured
Massive Demonstration, Banaras, IYC & PYC Presidents seriously Injured
In pursuance of call given by Mrs. Sonia Gandhi at a mammoth Ballia Rally on 19th August, 2000 to launch a struggle against the misdeed of BJP Government in Uttar Pradesh; Indian Youth Congress has initiated the first phase of its struggle from Eastern U.P. itself.
On 21st August, 2000; a massive rally cum demonstration for POORVANCHAL was held in the holy city of Varanasi to espouse the following demands:-
- Malafide persecution of minority weavers (largely Muslim) engaged in the trade of Saree & Carpet making to be stopped forthwith. Thousands of false cases have been registered against minority community at the instance of Bajrang Dal, RSS and VHP. We further demanded that a comprehensive economic package should be prepared to ameliorate their conditions.
- Immediate withdrawal of 300% fees hike in Universities of Uttar Pradesh. As Varanasi has five universities, fees hike averaging over 300% or more has caused widespread unrest among students and parents alike. For example, fee for MBA course in Kashi Vidya Peeth has gone up from Rs. 10,000/- to Rs. 72,000/-.
- Immediate withdrawal of Medical fees increased by over 100%
- Handing over of 'Women Reforms Home Scandal' for investigation to CBI in which CBI in which, senior politicians of the State and their wards are involved.
- Revival of employment opportunities and immediate eradication of massive unemployment arising on account of closure of hundreds of major, medium and small scale industrial units particularly 3 cement factories, 1 fertiliser unit and over 20 Sugar Mills owing to faulty policies of BJP Government. As per an estimate, over 50,000 people have been rendered jobless over last 5 years.
- Restoration of Law & Order Machinery and curbing the mafia.
Perturbed by massive turnout, State Govt. resorted to unprovoked lathi charge on peaceful rallyists. Over 150 people including IYC President, Shri Randeep Singh Surjewala were injured and hospitalized. A false case was registered against IYC Workers by the BJP Govt. at the instance of Chief Minister and State BJP Chief, Shri. Kalraj Mishra, who represents the area. All Youth Congress activists including Shri Surjewala were arrested and detained from 21st August to 26th August 2000 in Banaras Distt. Jail.